Work at The Whale Centre
Work on the water and live in Tofino!
The Whale Centre is proud to offer safe, fast, and fun Whale Watching Adventures from March - October departing from Tofino. We are currently recruiting qualified, experienced, energetic Skippers to join our marine team to assist us in providing guests from around the world with bucket list adventures on the water!
A Skipper’s primary goal is to ensure the safety of our each of our guests meanwhile providing a memorable marine wildlife experience through the use of informative and engaging narrative. Successful candidates will be familiar with the local shoreline, its hazards, and will know how to safely operate a vessel in variable weather and sea conditions. Skippers are also expected to have a high level of understanding when it comes marine wildlife.
We take pride in the level of service that we have been able to uphold over the last 30 years and it is important to us that you share this value. A successful candidate carries the four necessary Transport Canada certificates, has a wealth of practical experience, understands what it means to be an entertainer, and is flexible with their summer schedule.
- Assemble and check required supplies levels and equipment before departing for each tour
- Understand and interpret different information in regards to marine wildlife, historical points of interest, geographic
- features, etc. along the tour and answer questions as required
- Safely navigate local waters preserving the safety and comfort of all guests
- Monitor guest activity in order to ensure compliance with established tour regulations and safety procedures
- Friendly, outgoing, communicative, approachable, team player, original, highly motivated, and hard working
- Enjoys working with a diverse group of individuals from various backgrounds
- Passionate about marine wildlife as well as the history of Victoria and the surrounding areas
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Secondary school diploma or highly is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of local history, marine wildlife, artifacts, amenities and vessel mechanics
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP)
- Marine Emergency Duties A-3 (MED A-3)
- Radio Operators Certificate Marine (ROC-M)
- Basic Marine First Aid
Applicants please email Jennifer Steven at firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter, resume, and little about yourself.