TOFINO BEAR WATCHING TOURS
Leave from the Tofino harbour and travel the calm, protected inter-tidal waters of Clayoquot Sound to find Black Bears. When the tide rolls out, the Black Bears lumber from the forest down to the shoreline in search of their next meal. From a safe distance, watch the bears forage the shoreline for their favourite delicacy, rock crabs and fish. Sometimes we see the sow with her new cubs in tow. Your knowledgeable guide will share information about Black Bears and other wildlife that you may come across such as Bald Eagle's, Seals, Harbour Porpoises, Wolves, Blue Herons and River Otters. The Black Bears come out of hibernation in April and they stay in the Tofino area until October when they head to the rivers to feast on salmon. The Tofino Bear Watching Tour is recommended for everyone and especially those sailors who prefer flat and calm waters.
We GUARANTEE SIGHTINGS, read HERE for more on our policy.
Our open 12 passenger open Boston Whaler vessels are excellent for viewing and photographing wildlife. With twin high horsepower engines you are ensured a safe and exhilarating ride through the waters off Tofino. The driver is located in the centre of the boat to better communicate with guests. Tofino's Bear Watching season runs April to early October.
BEAR WATCHING RATES
Adults - $106
Students/seniors - $96
Children (4 - 13) - $75
Infants (0-3) - FREE
This 2.5 hour tour leaves daily on the Low Tide. Please check with us to see what time we are departing on the day you would like to go see bears.
TOFINO BEAR WATCHING
What to expect:
- Observe wildlife on shore from the comfort and safely of our open Boston Whaler Vessels.
- Departing daily on the low tide, we travel to secluded inlets to view Black Bears roam out of the forest onto the shoreline in search of food.
- Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride as your knowledgable guide shares information about Black Bears and other inlet wildlife.
- A favourite program for photographers and bird watchers alike.
What you need to know:
- Fully guided Black Bear Tour and wildlife viewing (2.5 hours)
- Experienced, qualified and passionate skippers to answer all your questions.
- Departure times are based on low tides.
- We use open 12 passenger Boston Whaler vessels.
- You are provided with protective floatation suits, gloves and toques.
- Best time to go Bear Watching: April - October.
- We start to see the new black bear cubs in late May.
- Tofino Bear Watching Tours are on calm and protected waters, recommended for everyone.
What to bring on a Bear Watching Tour:
- We recommend you dress warmly with layers: sweaters, long pants, closed toed shoes and maybe a windbreaker to wear under your Mustang Survival Suit.
- Bring your sunglasses, sunscreen, camera, video, binoculars and your sense of adventure!
- Each passenger is required to sign a Release of Liability at check in. Participants must be 19 years of age, or require a parent or guardian to sign on their behalf.
- Check in time for Bear Watching is 30 minutes prior to departure time at our office at 411 Campbell Street.
- A wildlife conservation fee of $1 will be added to each fare in support of Strawberry Isle Marine Reseach Society.
- Add 5% GST tax to all tours.
- We reserve the right to add a fuel surcharge (currently $6.00).
- Multi-tour discounts available.
- Group rates available for 6 or more.
- Online bookings must be made 24 hours in advance, if you would like to book a tour in the next 24 hours please call our office to book (250)725-2132.
- This tour has a 48 hour cancellation policy.
- Prices are subject to change.
- Parking is available on our property but if the lot is full here is some parking information.
We recommend advance reservations on all our tours. Call 250-725-2132.
Wildlife Mad Hatter's joined us on a Bear Watching Tour, read their blog post!